Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bashas deals and the food bank!




Thanks to my friend Raeanna for telling me about the food bank. I donate a lot to the food banks and even help out sometimes at one. But I did not know that the St. Mary's food bank (we went to the westside food bank) actually sells boxes of food to the general public. You don't have to qualify for this, you just show up and pay. Most of the boxes they sell are not really a good value to me as I can almost always get the stuff a lot cheaper than their prices. But the beauty of their program is that when you buy one of their main boxes, they give you extra boxes of random stuff they have extras of. Here I bought the "pantry box" which is normally $13. I paid $11 with a military discount. In the pantry box, I got 2 boxes of mac & cheese, two cans of tuna, 1 small bottle of juice, 1 jar of peanut butter, and 7 cans total of: soup, vegetables, and tomato sauce. So, not a lot. BUT I got all the other stuff here too as extras. Most of the bread is expired or close to expiring, but we will freeze it. In the box is a ton of carrots, some onions, and two heads of lettuce. I also got grapes, celery, a watermelon, and several single serving packs of carrots with ranch sauce and apples with caramel. Plus the laundry and dish detergent, several small chocolate milks, cleaning wipes, ziploc bags, and much more! So, in the bigger picture, it was a pretty good deal for $11.




On the way home I stopped at Bashas for some of their deals on meat and staples this week. They have hamburger at 80% lean for $1.35 a lb and chicken for $.39 a lb-sold in a 10lb bag. Also got a 10lb bag of potatoes for $.99.
No coupon shopping, but I use as many methods as I can find to save money. I will hit some of the stores for quadruples and competitor coupon shopping in the next couple of days!

No comments: