Friday, May 1, 2009

End of the Month Rush







I haven't done much shopping lately as I've been doing some late spring cleaning. But I had some good coupons that were expiring on 4/30, so I ran out last night to try and use at least some of them. I went to the commissary since they had the Marcal toilet paper 12 packs. I had 30 coupons but they usually only have 10 packs on the shelf. So I figured, I'd only get 10 packs and not be able to use the other 20 coupons. BUT, when I walked in, right in the front of the store was a huge display with the Marcal toilet paper! I was so excited! I filled up one cart and my husband went and grabbed another. I got my 30 packs of toilet paper and only took about half of the display. (well, maybe a little more than half, but still plenty left.) I had 12 of the free coupons left for Marcal, so I got 12 more boxes of tissues. Since these coupons scan at $1 and the tissues were only $.79, I got overage on these. I also had coupons for $2 on pork, $1 on Orange juice and $1 on eggs, so I stocked up on those too. I got 10 packs of pork chops and all were under $2, so more overage. Then I got 12 cans of frozen OJ-$.99 each, so free with coupons and 10 dozen eggs-$1.24 each, so $.24 with coupons. I still had 6 more egg coupons left, but I didn't think we could get through that many before the expiration date. But while we were in line, there was a young guy in front of us who commented on the eggs and TP in our cart. ("Looked like we might be egging and tp'ing someone's house") We laughed and my husband explained that I was using coupons and they all expired tonight and the guy was interested when we told him how much the stuff was going to cost us. Then I asked if he were buying any eggs because I had extra coupons. He wasn't but wanted some, so he ran back and grabbed 4 cartons of eggs and I handed him 4 coupons. He was so excited and thanked us numerous times and told the cashier amd several other customers how he was getting the eggs for $.24 a dozen thanks to the coupons. It was fun to see and I was happy to help him. I remember those days of being young and having limited funds. (especially in the military!) I paid about $20 oop including the tip.
After the commissary, we were rushing to get to the movie theater since I had one more free ticket that expired last night too. We didn't make it in time for the movie we wanted to see, so we got tickets for another movie (17 again) that didn't start for another hour.
Since we had extra time, we then went to Walgreens and I was hapy to find a Breeze 2 monitor. I have only found one more since Sunday, so this was great! I paid $1.21 in tax for it and got my $5 RR back. Then I used that $5 on the Nivea body wash (and a $1 Nivea coupon) and grabbed some Ramen for he kids for lunch as fillers. I paid $.66 oop and got a $5 RR back for the Nivea. Then we went back to the movie and I was pleasantly surprised as the movie was much better than I expected. Even with the shopping thrown in, it was a great date night!







Earlier this week, I did this shopping. I stopped at walgreens to get a new mophead since ours was falling apart and I picked up some ecotrin and Bayer quick release since they were both free after RR. I had a $1 coupon for the Bayer too, so that was a money maker. I paid for it all with RR and spent less than $1 oop and I got back a $2 and a $2.50 RR.
Then I went to Safeway since we needed dog food and I had catalinas that were close to expiring. I got 4 bags of the goodlife dog food and used 2-$3 printable coupons and 2-$2 printable coupons. I also got 2 electrasols and used the $2.50 coupons and 2 no yolk noodles using the $.75 coupons. All of these were part of the living well promotion, so I got another $10 catalina back. I also got 3 of the small cans of pillsbury crescent rolls and 3 small cans of pillsbury cinnamon rolls. I used $.25 coupons for one and $.30 coupons for the other making them $.69 and $.79 each. For each 3 that I bought, I also got back a $3 catalina, so these were a money maker too! Since I used catalinas to pay ($14 worth of cat's), I paid only $2 oop, most of which was tax and I got back $16 more in catalinas to use next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI:My walgreens had the monitors on a regular isle but also had some behind the pharmacy counter.

Katmotley said...

Thanks! I'm finding most of them in the pharmacy now- only found one on the shelf so far.