Saturday, January 3, 2009

Green is my favorite color





Green really is my favorite color, but I like this kind of green too!
This morning, I had a yard sale. I'd been planning on doing a yard sale since before Christmas, but it didn't happen. So, I decided I would do it today, even though I didn't expect a huge crowd. I thought it might be too close after the holidays for people to be out spending money, but I was wrong!

When I say I had a yard sale, I mean I sold items from my stockpile. That's all I sold-just stockpile items.
I started setting up at 7:30 and by 9:30 I was almost out of stock. In my area, people really haggle and are looking for super cheap deals. So I priced almost everything at $1. I had a small table with some $2 items, but at least 1/3 of that I sold to hagglers for $1 each.
Shampoos and toothpaste were definitely the top sellers. I closed up by 10:00 because I didn't have much left. I still ended up with one bin full of stuff when I put it away, but it had looked pretty sparse on my tables. (I started with about 5 bins worth of stuff.) I sold shampoos, conditioners, styling products, hair colors, mouthwash, toothpaste, toothbrushes, air fresheners, razors, soap, deodorants, and makeup.

We had a small mishap with the makeup. I had my basket full of makeup behind the table and was pulling stuff out to sell and putting it into another basket on the table. We got slammed before I finished sorting the makeup, so I just left MY basket behind the table. I was at the other end of the tables helping one customer when I turned around and there were about 5 women behind my table going through MY makeup! My daughter was working that end and sold them a bunch of the stuff I had wanted to keep. They decimated my makeup stockpile! But it's not all a loss, I decided I was probably keeping too much anyways and free makeup is pretty easy to come by. I just hope I come by it before I run out of any of my current items I'm using. :)

I also had put out some K-Y seeing as how I have so much of it and need to really get rid of it, but it wasn't selling. So I put a "free" sign on it and it started flying off the table. Some people were even asking what it was as they grabbed 4 and 5 each. LOL But put "free" on something around here and everyone wants it. :)

All in all it was a good sale, I cleaned out a good portion of my "overstock" and I made $355. I paid my kids for helping out and still had $325 left. Not bad for 2 1/2 hours worth of work. :)

3 comments:

Amiyrah said...

wonderful job! I agree on the FREE signage lol....I gave away "goody" bags of random free items I got hounding. I put them in cellophane bags and gave them away to family and friends on New Year's Eve. When I gave it to them, they didn't even care what was inside, they just loved that it was free lol! Once they saw that it was toothpaste, razors, chaptick and other high price items, they practically hugged the life out of me :oP

You kicked butt at that yard sale! and you know that we'll have great sales on makeup again soon. They'll be putting out the spring lines soon, so they'll be lots of clearance make up at CVS and Walgreens. Whoo Hoo!

Katmotley said...

Thanks! I already started building it back up with some L'oreal foundation at Walgreens today.

Funny about that word free, huh? People can go crazy. ;)

Unknown said...

You did awesome at your yard sale! YaY! I love selling MM for even more profit - FUN! :o)