Sunday, June 14, 2009

Military Benefits






The Commissary is one of many benefits for the military community. It's one of the benefits I'm very grateful for! Now, granted, a lot of items are not really any cheaper at the commissary than at the regular grocery stores, but some things are almost always cheaper here. And while I can get a lot of free stuff at other stores and even make money on some of their sales, the commissary has a great option for free groceries. In coupon terms it's called "overage". This means that if you have a coupon for more than the cost of the actual item, you get the full value of the coupon off your order. Thus creating "overage" you can spend on other groceries.

By now, you are probably getting tired of hearing about my favorite overage item- KY. But it is still my favorite and it helped me pay for all these groceries today. At the commissary, the KY is $1.85 and my coupons are for $3 off. So, for each tube I get, I get an extra $1.15 to use for my other groceries. But since these coupons expire soon (July 1), I have to start using all of them up that I still have left. So today was a stock up day.

I got everything you see in the picture for $.46. The KY paid for most of it, though I did not put them in the picture. I also got a big bag of dog food shown below. My daughter opened it and started feeding the dogs before I took my photo above.

Some of my good deals today were:
23.5 lbs of chicken @ $.50 lb
6 lbs ground beef @ $1.29 lb
1 Jar of Pace for $1.57 and used $4 printable coupon from their online game
5 bags of rice-2 lbs each bag for $.62 each after $1 coupons
2 cans Campbell's cream of mushroom soup @ $1.29 each and used $3 coupon sent from company

I also stocked up on snacks for our trip and some essentials we needed like bread and flour.

My total saved in coupons was $191.00 and I spent $.46 oop plus $2 tip to the bagger. (We always take our own bags out.)

So, if you can shop at the commissary, make sure you look for good coupons to go with the great prices there and definitely look for coupons that provide overage!




No comments: